For a startup, intellectual property is often the most valuable asset. Yet, IP isn’t just about patents and inventions. It can also include your brand assets — everything from the company name to the logo and product tagline.
Trademarks help keep your brand ID safe, with the idea that no one else in the market can come in and use your brand or trademark for a similar thing. But how much do you understand about the trademark process? Here are the answers to 10 of the most frequently asked questions surrounding trademarks:
- If I trademark my company/product name, does that mean nobody else can use it?
- What’s the difference between a trademark and registering with the state?
- When is the right time to trademark our company name?
- How long does it take to get a trademark?
- What class should I choose?
- How long is a trademark good for? How long does a trademark last?
- Should I register my company’s name or logo?
- Can I trademark my name?
- Can a trademark help me get a domain name?
- What happens if someone else uses my trademark?