11 Remarkably Inspiring Quotes to Finish the Week
We could all use a little inspiration as the week winds down.
Need something to get you through the week? Read on for 11 inspirational, literary quotes to tie you over until the weekend.
1. “I can’t go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.” –Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
We often forget how far we have come. Use Alice’s wise words as encouragement to keep going.
2. “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.” — The Great Gatsby by Scott F. Fitzgerald
Contrary to Alice’s motto of looking forward, Fitzgerald reminds us to remember our pasts as we progress into the future.
3. “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven.” –Paradise Lost by John Milton
Remember to stay in the present and live in the world immediately around you–not in your thoughts.
4. “Not all those who wander are lost.” –The Lord of the Rings by J. R. Tolkien
If you feel lost, confused, and like you’re running in circles, fret not. You can wander for a reason, even if just to find yourself.
5. “I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I’ll go to it laughing.” — Moby Dick by Herman Melville
Life will throw us curveballs. There’s no reason we can’t catch them and keep running.
6. “Don’t feel sorry for yourself. Only assholes do that.” — Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
A daily reminder that wallowing never gets you anywhere that exactly where you already are.
7. “It is better to look at the sky than live there.”–Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote
Dreaming is an easy way out of real life. We need to remind ourselves of that when our heads start drifting up into the clouds.
8. “If you look for perfection, you’ll never be content.” — Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Tolstoy echoes the Buddhist philosophy of achieving nirvana right where we are.
9. “When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.” — The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Don’t undermine your efforts. You never know whose lives they might be changing.
10. “It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.” — Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Rowling gently reminds us that we are defined by nothing but what we choose.
11. “My advice is, never do tomorrow what you can do today. Procrastination is the thief of time.” — David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
Waste no time, but enjoy every moment to live the fullest life you can every single second.